Notice Board
Notice Board updated 09 Jul 2018

Contact us Notice Board Correspondence Bursaries Bursary Reports History of KMS Archive

 

          KIDDERMINSTER MEDICAL SOCIETY         

 

 

 

MINUTES OF THE KIDDERMINSTER MEDICAL SOCIETY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Held in the Education Centre on Wednesday 18th April 2018

PRESENT:             Dr Paul Williams, Dr Paul Newrick, Mr Chris Tallents, Dr Chandra Pathirana, Dr Pam Ball, Mr Chris Gait, Dr Martin Lewis, Dr Richard Taylor, Dr David Starkie, Dr D Malcolmson, Dr E Malcomson, Mr S Perry, Dr J Murray, Professor Ashok Rai, Dr R Horton, Dr L Butcher, Dr A de Cothi, Dr T Wadsworth, Dr G Summers, Dr S Booth, Dr R Herbert

1  1.       APOLOGIES:       Dr Wendy Kingston, Dr Gill Blanchard, Dr Sally Rumley, Dr C Prince, Dr J Wilner, Miss Jan Meggy, Dr Gail Brown, Mr V Koo, Dr J Hall

 

    2.       MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed to be a correct record.

 

    3.       MATTERS ARISING  – Review of the role of the Kidderminster Medical Society (item 7)

 Dr Paul Williams, (chairing) suggested that ‘Review of the role of the Kidderminster Medical Society’ should be discussed once items 5 and 6 had been covered.

  

    4.       TREASURER’S REPORT

Mr Gait reported that a bank statement was due to come in.  He read through the accounts. The subs were received by standing order still.   The 3 bursaries had been awarded.  The Society had not paid for the website the previous year.  Bank statements were provided to view.

Dr Paul Williams stated a need to get a 2nd or 3rd signatory for the bank account. 

There were no questions.

 5.       TRUSTEE ACCOUNTS

 

 Dr Lewis presented the Trustee accounts for the previous year (2017) and accounts for  2017/2018.  The bursary awards are on the KMS website.  Three bursaries were awarded to local applicants at a total of £9,000 as all 3 met the criteria.  In 2017 Birmingham Medical School awarded a bursary to a candidate from Selly Oak as there were no Wyre Forest applicants.  A second bursary was awarded to a candidate from Stourbridge.  There were no other local candidates from the other medical schools.   

 

Dr Lewis reported that Mr Charles Waring, who has been the Treasurer for the Trustees for 24 years, has had to step down due to ill health, but not before he completed the accounts presented.

 

There were no questions.

 

6.       ELECTIVE BURSARY

Dr Paul Newrick reported that there had been a number of very good applicants.  Three applicants had been chosen who had local connections and good stories.  It had been agreed that all applications were good enough and were awarded a total of £1500.00.

7.       REVIEW OF THE ROLE OF THE KIDDERMINSTER MEDICAL SOCIETY

Dr Paul Williams remarked that the bursaries were a reminder of the good impact of Kidderminster Medical Society. 

Dr Lewis (Chair of the Trustees) reported that The Trustees and Dr Newrick had produced a paper which was circulated with the invitation to discuss the future of the KMS at the AGM.  From 2006 it was decided to use the income from the investment income towards postgraduate education.  Birmingham Medical School was seeking funds and KMS donated £10,000 towards the funding of a tutorial room, and also established an annual £3,000 bursary for Birmingham Medical School, which was then extended to include a second annual £3,000 for a local candidate.  Since then, 28 students have received a bursary of £3,000 = £90,000 in total.  The funds started at £150,000 and is still nearly that now, having received a donation from the Education Centre accounts.  Undergraduate electives have received £6,400 over time.

Mr Gait reported the 3 recipients as Izzy Duncan, Sam Owen-Smith and Monica Kondratowicz.

Dr Paul Williams reported that he joined the Medical Society in 1997, and many present had been members for much longer.  He has been social secretary for 13+ years and over the last 4 to 5 years there had been a steady decline in interest in the KMS of those of working age, and most present were retirees.  It has become more difficult to keep in contact.  Kidderminster Hospital and the Post Graduate Medical Centre are gone, and the newer consultants and GPs don’t have the same interest, and are busier.  Their social circles are different to previously.  The last AGM annual meal was cancelled as only 12 members responded positively. 

He noted that the Kidderminster Medical Society is a very historical society, is thought to be the oldest in the country, and is still doing sterling work with the bursaries and electives.  Dr Williams reported that he would not be standing as social secretary again as he no longer had the time, energy or enthusiasm to bring to the role.   Dr Williams opened up the meeting for comment.

Dr Lewis had summarised the responses sent out regarding the future of the Kidderminster Medical Society. Mr Vincent Koo, Consultant Urologist, had sent his apologies for not attending the AGM, but had responded with various positive suggestions, which were read out. 

Mr Perry asked whether keeping it as Kidderminster Medical Society made it too narrow, when the majority of services were now at Worcester, whether it was possible to widen the appeal with a wider name or move it to Worcester.

Mr Tallents commented that networking was an important part of the initial set up of the KMS and included getting together and having functions.  However, each generation have a different educational requirement.  He suggested putting the KMS into partial hibernation.  The money could still be used for awarding bursaries, with an AGM for financial probity.  He gave examples of other organisations which have gone into partial hibernation. 

Dr Newrick echoed Mr Tallents’ suggestion of partial hibernation, and also spoke for Miss Meggy who was unable to attend the meeting.  He reported that the same discussion had taken place at the AGM over the last 3 years.  He agreed that networking was a core function of the KMS but networking was not the current flavour.  He proposed mothballing the Society, allowing for the 2 panels to continue in order to award bursaries and wait for the pendulum to change.  This would enable the KMS to keep its name going and would avoid frank closure.

Dr Ball said that it would be very sad to see the Society close.  Kidderminster had medical GP/consultant contact and communication, and possibly the best working medical group in the country.  She would hate to see it go completely and agreed that hibernation would be a good idea in order to continue the financial help and to keep the KMS name. 

Mr Gait reported that a lot of societies had closed.  He thought that the pendulum will change to more local means and suggest keep the KMS going but at least inform the donors (mainly GP practices) what the Society is doing with the money. 

Dr Lewis asked for clarification on ‘mothballing’ – this would include having an AGM as a legal requirement to discuss accounts etc.

Dr Summers suggested that it would only require 3 people to sign off accounts for legal purposes but that without an outside purpose the KMS would likely close completely.  He suggested an AGM coupled with a social event as a regular contact.  However, he agreed that if there was no enthusiasm would it be wise to try and resurrect?  Dr Sarah Deacon, Respiratory Consultant, had responded favourably to the questionnaire sent out.  There was a trickle of support from new people and he suggested we try and harvest these people. 

Professor Rai noted that the Trustees have a lot of responsibility and enquired about the purpose of the KMS, and what the Trustees were responsible for.  What is the mission statement?  It was explained that the Trustees manage the postgraduate funds (previously Trustees of the Postgraduate Medical Centre), and have charitable status.    It was clarified that the KMS was not a charity.  Dr Williams explained that it was originally a social society essentially a role for networking and had 4 to 5 events a year. 

Professor Rai agreed that over the last 10-15 years he no longer recognises his Wyre Forest colleagues and vice versa.  He proposed to put in some effort and set up an educational programme to include lectures, which could be organised 6 months in advance in order to try and attract new blood.  Dr Williams suggested that his GP colleagues mix with doctors all day and no longer wish to do so in the evenings, which seemed to be the common opinion these days.  Dr Herbert noted that previously GPs worked on-calls and had to live within 5 miles of their work place, but can now live 20 miles away.

 

Dr D Malcomson recalled Monday meetings where GP’s and consultants would educate GP’s and gain feedback.  They all knew each other and this worked well.  He queried whether this sort of event 2 to 3 times a year would work.  Dr Williams replied that currently 3 times a year the CCG pay for GP practices to close at 3 pm when they attend a local venue and a consultant gives an update.  A discussion took place as to whether the CCG could be included with the KMS in some way to amalgamate this function.  It was agreed that the CCG organisation was very fluid and it would not be wise to pursue this suggestion.

Dr de Cothi wasn’t sure that interest had ‘bottomed out’ in respect of local GP practices.  He agreed it would be awful to see the demise of the KMS and had always hoped it would carry on without his support.  However, he was happy to get involved.  He put forward suggestions that maybe the younger generation should define what happens next and wondered about sounding out the younger GP partners who seemed to be very keen to go out after work, although this is currently done at practice level.  He agreed to a degree of hibernation on the basis that we have exhausted local enthusiasm but was not aware how close to the edge the KMS really is.  He thought it strange that more GPs weren’t present at the meeting.

Dr Newrick explained there had been very little engagement and the last 3 AGMs had included the same discussion regarding the future of the Medical Society.  No one had so far wanted to do anything.  Currently could we compete in an educational role?  Having a social network and talking shop is very therapeutic, and it works, but people are needed to run it.

Dr Wadsworth thanked Dr Williams for being social secretary and agreed the Society needed people to fill the roles, possibly younger people.

Dr Williams agreed that if the Medical Society was to be resurrected it required an enthusiastic leader, in active practice.  Every Wyre Forest GP practice got the email about the importance of attending tonight’s AGM but no one has turned up.   Dr Williams would therefore support hibernation.

Dr D Malcomson advised that £1,100 in subs was received from local GP practices.  GP education is continuing, and there is local identity in GP practices joining together. 

Dr E Malcomson enquired whether the ‘super-practices’ were bringing surgeries together.  She agreed that the Society needed younger people prepared to be involved, and noted that of those at the AGM, only 4 were still working.  She would therefore support hibernation.

Dr Williams suggested that if the Society was put in hibernation it would require an AGM and a meal, which would be fine.  However, if it were to be resurrected with an educational role that would require a lot of work.

Dr Murray queried whether the Society could merge with the CCG regarding education, and suggested informing them of the money available. Thereby their officers could do the work.  Dr Williams felt this would be fraught with danger. 

 

Dr Starkie explained that the Society needed to plan long-term and it was unsure how long-term the CCG is as it had a history of changing.

Dr Butcher asked whether the subs should continue if the Society were to be put in hibernation.

Dr Summers noted that the list of respondents to the questionnaire included many positive responses.  He pointed out that Ashok Rai has expressed an interest in being involved.  If he emailed his colleagues, including Mr Koo, personally this might generate more support/involvement.  Dr Summers offered to email Sarah Deacon and Mark Roberts personally to inform them that Ashok Rai is interested in becoming involved and invite them to make contact with him if they wish to take part.

Dr Butcher asked how many who replied saying they would support the KMS agreed to attend the dinner.  Dr Williams agreed that this had pretty much been the case for the past 5 years.  The meal at the Elms in 2016 had been supported with 59 attending; mainly from GP practices.  There was little enthusiasm in 2017 and it had to be cancelled, losing a deposit.  Dr Ball noted that the email sent to her was late.  Dr Williams acknowledged it had been very difficult to maintain contact with members, especially when retired.

Mr Perry asked for clarification on ‘mothballing’.  If this included an AGM and annual dinner then that would be the same as had happened in the past 4 to 5 years.  Dr Williams agreed, and said it was for the Society to decide.  Dr Wadsworth asked if administrators would still be needed if the Society was ‘mothballed’.  It was acknowledged that they would be required to award the bursaries.  Dr Ball felt that ‘mothballing’ would kill off the Society.

Dr de Cothi acknowledged that Dr Williams had done a great job as social secretary and offered to take on this role whilst he was still practicing.   He thought it required selling what the Society is about, and making proper contact with the acute side.  He would ask the new practice manager regarding emails.  Dr Ball agreed it was important to have GP/consultant co-operation. 

Dr D Malcomson suggested that as there were 5 practicing consultants on the list who had responded positively, and Dr de Cothi was willing to get involved, to postpone hibernation of the Society for another year.  Dr Starkie suggested hibernation with an AGM, or annual meeting, and anything in-between would be all well and good, but he didn’t think it advisable to set up lots at the moment.  It was suggested it would be helpful to have a guide date for the AGM in future, such as the 2nd Monday in October for example.

Mr Perry enquired who was eligible to become a member of the Society.  It used to be open to doctors, dentists, vets etc.  He wondered whether it would be useful to include nurse practitioners and associates who are often excluded but who have lots of interest and energy. And that would resurrect the networking aspect again. Dr Ball advised including pathology technicians etc. also.  Dr de Cothi agreed to support this option, and suggested if refreshing the Society to try and include everyone possible.

Dr Horton enquired whether the donors of the subs would want to know what they get for their money.  Mr Perry suggested some members could pay less, depending on pay.  Dr Williams suggested they could possibly abandon the subs and run the Society off social events, which would make it self-sustaining. 

Professor Rai suggested experimenting with a one-off educational event, sponsored by KMS, and held in the Kidderminster Education Centre, and advertised as a KMS event.  He gave an example of the VTS training programme, which could be held at Kidderminster under the guardianship of KMS.  He suggested experimenting a little with options.  Mr Perry advised that a Nurse Practitioner could do a talk on scanning eyes for example.  Dr Summers agreed this would help to keep the KMS name alive.

Dr de Cothi suggested the following:

·         He wondered about exploring the enthusiasm out there, and suggested ‘Survey Monkey’ as an option.

·         Updating the contact list.

·         To consolidate before organising.

·         A roughly fixed date for the AGM.

·         An annual dinner at The Elms.

·         Ashok Rai to influence the consultants.

  Dr Murray acknowledged that when he joined, the KMS was moribund but was revived by Dr John Ball.  All is not lost.

Dr Starkie asked about whether the list of GP subs resembled the current names of those practising.  Dr Williams expressed his concern that members were not getting much for their money.  A general discussion suggested that the money was helping to educate the next generation, and currently there is an issue with recruitment and retention in the Wyre Forest.

 

    8.       ELECTION OF NEW OFFICERS

Dr D Malcolmson proposed Dr Tony de Cothi as the new social secretary, seconded by Dr P Williams.  Dr E Malcomson proposed Professor Ashok Rai also as social secretary, seconded by Dr T Wadsworth.   These proposals were accepted unanimously.  It was proposed and agreed that the term ‘Officer’ would replace ‘Social Secretary’.  Dr Wadsworth wondered whether they could revive the ‘President’ role, and it was agreed to leave this with Dr de Cothi and Dr Rai.

Mr Chris Gait agreed to continue in the role of treasurer.

Dr Williams identified that Mr Gait is the currently the only signatory and this needs to be addressed.

Mr S Perry thanked Dr Williams for his role in the Medical Society and this was applauded by those present.

              

 

 

The History of Kidderminster Medical Society is available on the website

Click here to read 120 years of Medicine in the Wyre Forest

Authored by John Murray

and for

Bursary Reports - click here

 

 

Make a point of visiting the website regularly or you may miss out on news and announcements

the website can be accessed at:
www.kidderminstermedicalsociety.co.uk

 

 

Contact us Notice Board Correspondence Bursaries Bursary Reports History of KMS Archive